The Anglican Churches in the Monmouth Area

The Anglican Churches in the Monmouth Area

Home » Resources » History

History

History of St Wonnow’s, Wonastow

27th March 2019

The Church is dedicated to Saint Wonnow or Winwaloe, an Abbot or Confessor. The Saint’s name is given differently as Winwalloe, Gwenaloe, Wingualvens, Winwaloy and Walovay. At the Abbey of Landevennec, Brittany, he is known as Gwenhole. The first church on this site at Wonastow appears to have been built in the 7th century when Cynfwr ap Lago gave the church and village to the Church in Llandaff.

Read More

History of St Michael’s and All Angels, Mitchel Troy

27th March 2019

The elaborate font, decorated with netted fish and water lilies, was installed at the reconstruction and is to the left of the South door. To the right is the old Norman font which was found in the Rectory shrubbery some years ago.There are some interesting stone corbels.

Read More

History of St Thomas the Martyr, Overmonnow

27th March 2019

The present church, or part of it, is known to have been in use in 1186 when it was mentioned in the Bull of Pope Urban III. Its original construction can therefore be dated as having taken place in all probability between 1170 and 1186. There may well have been an earlier structure on the site.

Read More

History of St Mary’s Priory Church, Monmouth

27th March 2019

A church has been on this site since 1101AD when it formed part of a Benedictine Priory founded by Withenoc – Lord of Monmouth c.1075 – c.1082. After the disestablishment the church went into decay.The church was later restored by the Georgians and further by the Victorians.

Read More